I am in the process of completing my doctoral studies, an ethnography of newswork in a time of disruption at the Afrikaans news website Netwerk24. My Master’s thesis dealt with the professional use of social media at the weekly newspapers Rapport and the Mail & Guardian.
- 2018: Chapter in book: ‘This is a safe space’: The need for reflection by journalism educators. Book details: #Journalism 4.0 | #Joernalistiek 4.0 @Stellenbosch (African SUNMeDIA). Edited by L. Rabe.
- 2016: Book review: Die groot drie: ’n Eeu van spotprente in Die Burger 1915-2015.
Tydskrif vir Letterkunde, Volume 53 (2).
- 2014: Chapter in book: Back To the Future: Re-invigorating the ‘Newsroom Genre’ to Study Social Media Use in Developing Contexts. Book details: Online Journalism in Africa: Trends, Practices and Emerging Cultures (Routledge). Edited by HM Mabweazara, OF Mudhai & J Whittaker.
- 2013: “Poke me, I’m a journalist: The impact of Facebook and Twitter on newsroom routines and cultures at two South African weeklies” in Ecquid Novi: African Journalism Studies, Volume 34 (1), 2013.
- October 2017: Paper presented: “This is a safe space”: a case study on the need for reflection during programme renewal at the 10th annual Stellenbosch University Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) conference, Somerset West.
- October 2016: Paper presented on theoretical framework for ongoing PhD studies at the South African Communication Association Conference, Bloemfontein.
- April 2015: Presenter on panel discussion about Twitter use and ethical journalism (with a focus on the Oscar Pistorius case) at the Organisation of News Ombudsmen annual conference, Cape Town.
- October 2014: Paper presented: “Learning through serving: The example of UP Journalism’s community newspapers The Mamelodi Voice and the Grapevine,” at the South African Communication Association Conference, Potchefstroom.
- November 2013: Paper presented: “Don’t be afraid of the watchdogs: communicating with newspaper journalists in South Africa,” at the Public Sector and Corporate Communicators Forum, Sandton
- July 2013: Paper presented: “Raising The Mamelodi Voice: creating space for journalism students to teach themselves,” at 3rd World Journalism Education Congress in Mechelen, Belgium.
- June 2012: Paper presented: “Poke me, I’m a journalist: A look at the impact of Facebook and Twitter on the newsroom routines and cultures in two South African weekly newspaper newsrooms,” at the First International Conference on Journalism Studies in Santiago, Chile